Your parked car could be the tool criminals use to access your home. Criminals are breaking into cars at an alarming rate. In many cases they are only stealing garage door openers. This may seem odd, until you several weeks later when your home is robbed. The criminals are able to acquire the home address from the car registration. Several methods of protecting yourself are to place your registration and insurance information in your wallet or purse. Carry your garage door opener in your purse or if you are a man place it in the trunk. The trunk of the car is much harder to access because of the lack of glass which is present in the main driving compartment.
• When leaving your car parked always lock your doors.
• When at the mall or shopping center park near the security cameras.
• Install motion lights on the home and park in the path of lights so they can detect any movement around them.
• Remove any items of value from the car such as spare change, compact discs, and GPS units
• If you have a garage move the junk out so you can park the car inside.
• Remove the pull cord from the garage door opener so it can not accessed by criminals that may break out the small window panes to gain entry.
• Install a car alarm and a home security system.
With criminals becoming more proficient by using technology and the internet to sharpen their skills, it is now more important than ever to make home security and safety practices a major part of your daily routine. If you find this tip useful please comment on this post and pass it along to those who could benefit from it.