Saturday, November 28, 2009
Safe Shopping Tips
You'd better watch out; you'd better not cry, use some shopping sense. I'm telling you why - cause criminals are coming to town.
The holiday shopping season is now upon us, and this is a time of increased criminal activity. Durham Sheriff, Worth Hill offers some valuable tips to help keep you safe during this time of year.
• Shop with a group. There is strength in numbers. A lone shopper is the best target for theft.
• You learned this when you were young. Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return. Let them know what you are wearing and what you are driving.
• Shop during daylight hours. If you shop at night park in well lit areas and look for security cameras.
• Dress in casual clothing. Do not wear high heels or flashy or expensive jewelry. Try not to be overloaded with packages.
• When carrying cash keep it in your front pocket and not in your purse. Keep our car keys in your front pocket to prevent a pick pocket from stealing them.
• Always observe your surroundings. If you see something suspicious report it.
• Have your keys in your hand when you approach your car, and check the back seat before getting in.
• Don’t leave packages in your car where they will attract a criminal’s attention.
• Carry a purse with a strap that can go over your head and rest on your shoulder to prevent a purse snatcher. Another tactic is to place your purse around your neck and carry it in front of you.
• Be cautious of anyone approaching you that you do not know. The key to safety is awareness and not letting your guard down. Always observe your surroundings.
• Don’t be talking on a cell phone while you are approaching the mall or heading back to your car. Wait till you are inside the store or safely in your car.
• Don’t be afraid to ask for a security escort to your car.