Randall Trent Butler (23) of Sanford, NC accidentally shot and killed himself while demonstrating the gun safety features on his 22 caliber pistol. According to WRAL website, Butler was at the home of his girlfriend Sunday June 26, 2011 demonstrating how the gun safety worked to friends when he apparently failed to reengage the safety, when he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. Upon reading about this tragedy I felt compelled to share a few simple gun safety tips.
1. Guns should never be loaded when demonstrating them.
2. Guns should not be pointed (loaded or unloaded) at people or animals in a nonthreatening environment.
3. Use a trigger lock in addition to the safety.
4. Store gun in a lockable gun box or gun safe.
5. Make sure that weapons are protected by a monitored external home security system when they are left in the home while you are away.
6. Never horse play with weapons, even if unloaded.
7. Never handle a gun or other weapon if you have been drinking or under the influence of drugs.
8. Use common sense.
My condolences go out to the family. It is my hope that his death will save the lives of others by serving as a chilling reminder that a forgetful or thoughtless moment with a gun can be fatal. For more information on gun safety or other personal safety or home security issues contact me at (919)949-9690 or email me at email@example.com.